ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY FOR CHECKER STORAGE BY SELFSTORALL
JANUARY 2013 Version
Our Environmental Policy is to be a responsible pro-active corporate citizen in protecting the environment. Acting responsibly and pro-actively is also consistent with protecting investors best long term interests.
We are committed to complying with accepted environmental practices, including the commitment to meet or exceed applicable legal and other requirements, to strive for continual improvement in our environmental management system, and to minimize the creation of waste and pollution. We will, therefore, manage our processes, our materials and our people in order to reduce the environmental impact on our work.
- Reduce, reuse and recycle waste and packaging.
- Improve the efficiency of energy usage.
- Constantly review aspects, objectives and targets, including periodic audits
- Understand the requirements of customers, authorities and agencies.
The Environmental Policy forms the basis of Environmental Planning and the identification of environmental impacts at and around our facility. Any new business activity or new building will be assessed for compatibility with this Policy.
Environmental Management Plan:
The EMP will be broken into measurable tasks to be periodically audited and subject to continuous improvement process. In particular we will:
- Devote management staff time sufficient to meet these goals in full.
- Provide training to employees and include environmental practices in employee performance appraisals.
- Seek to exceed the minimum requirements of all relevant legislation and where no regulations exist we shall set our own exacting standards.
- Work with suppliers to minimize the impact of their operations on the environment through a quality purchasing policy.
- Seek to reduce consumption of materials in all operations, reuse rather than dispose wherever possible and to promote recycled materials.
- Seek to reduce noise, visual and other impacts on the local environment.
The managing director has principle overall responsibility for implementation. All full-time and part-time staff are to be trained and involved.
Environmental Management Review Meetings:
At intervals not exceeding six months an Environmental Management Review Meeting is held by the managing director and site staff. Each meeting will be preceded by policy compliance audits. The review meetings are held to a formal agenda and address the possible need for changes to policy, objectives and other elements of the Environmental Management Plan.
Specific Initial Goals:
Promote and Assist Recyling – We assist customers with donating or selling discarded items from storage which allows goods to find a new home, NOT into a dumpster, and then a landfill.
Packing Boxes – Source and sell biodegradable boxes made from at least 50% recycled paper products.
Printed Materials – Wherever feasible our marketing materials are printed on recycled paper
Packing peanuts – Source and sell biodegradable packing peanut made primarily of corn and potato starch which degrade/dissolve in water (in lieu of polystyrene-Styrofoam peanuts), thereby helping keep more cu ft of Styrofoam out of landfills.
Site Specific Pollution Liability policy – We will maintain coverage to include: third party liability for bodily injury and property damage claims, first party cleanup costs, and defense costs; Transportation Pollution Liability coverage for waste hauled by the insured or contracted carriers.
Vehicle Emissions – Ensure all our vehicles are replaced at economic intervals and regularly undergo normal servicing where the key factor is the exhaust emission produced by these vehicles and also ensure they are well below the limits set by ALBERTA and federal regulation.